Saturday, January 31, 2009

Interview Day

Each interview will be different.

I will give you my personal experience. I arrived early and went to the store to grab breakfast (Dunkin Donuts for a cup of coffee and a breakfast sandwich). I had my luggage with me but this was remarkably acceptable; interviewers are used to this. I looked neat- shaved, pressed suit and tie (conservative is a good approach), my shoes shined, hair in order. After arriving at, I met the other candidates exchanged hellos, etc. We were given a folder outlining our interview day.

My first interview with a prof went very well. It was more of a conversation with a friend. When I walked in, I saw a poster of a Ferrari Testarossa so we started talking about cars. This turned out to be a great ice-breaker....maybe there is something in the room that will help you out. Basically, I was asked about Grenada, why I didn’t make it the first time, why I didn’t reapply, where I see myself in the next ten years, what kind of doctor I want to be, my favorite/least favorite med school subjects, why I chose my UG major, what my research paper was about, etc…

My second interviewer was a surgeon (they interview differently). We started off with a cup of coffee. It was very easy going and I felt at-ease. The coffee break was very relaxing, but when I went back to her office....things changed. She pinned me in a corner right off the bat. She questioned my desire to become a surgeon, questioned my choices and put me through a stressful interview. In the end, she admitted to playing devil’s advocate to see if I could pull myself out. Regardless, I felt like crap and knew that I hadn't answered correctly. I already visualized the letter:
"Thank you for your interest in our school. We have received X application for Y seats. At this time, we will not be able to offer you a seat in our _____ class"

After my second interview we were provided with lunch. My head was spinning because I didn't do so well on my second interview. During lunch, the director came in and went into how they screened applicants for interviews and how interviewees were chosen to fill the class of _____ seats. We had a short Q and A, followed by a campus tour. Remember, everyone is watching you so be on your best behavior! Be polite, positive, and upbeat. This is important.

What to avoid:
Let’s say that you just flew into Michigan from Grenada in the dead of winter. You land and find that there is a foot of snow and you forgot to pack your winter jacket. You go through a hellish trek back to your hotel. It is cold and you have sneakers on. As you are walking, you hear a splash and feel the cold water entering your shoes. 2 miles to go. After 45 minute, you get to your hotel. In the morning while on the way to your interview, an 18 wheeler drives by and slushes you and your CV. After you get to your interview, you frantically to clean up and and reprint your CV-you look as if nothing happened. When your interviewer asks you ‘how was your trip from warm grenada to cold michigan’, you answer “It has been excellent so far and I am so happy to be here today”. AVOID ANY NEGATIVITY during your interview.

At the end of the interview, get a card from your interviewer so you can contact them later.

No comments:

Post a Comment