Saturday, January 31, 2009

Preparing for the Interview

This is the most important interview of your life. Preparation is key. At this point, it would be safe to say that most applicants are on a level playing field so you need to hone in on your interviewing skills. What I did to prepare was the following:
THOROUGHLY read your application. Reread all my papers/research articles (I was asked a lot about my research, and had to go so far as explain my research project to the interviewer).
Read several books on interviewing. I did not stick to ‘getting a residency’ type books, but read everything from ‘Interviewing for Dummies’ to ‘Getting into a Top Business School’ type books. There are certain things that you need to prepare for.
Clean-up. Appearance is important.
Spend days on the school’s website. Look at everything from the curriculum to the school’s research. Why do you want to come here?????? I was asked that question.
Read the list of interview questions in Iserson’s, you’ll get an idea of what you might be asked.
Mock interviews: ask around. I found a website where you can pay someone on Stanford’s adcom-$500…wow! Not worth it as a broke med student IMHO. I was very fortunate to have wonderful friends who were experienced with interviews. I had them give me stressful interviews to prepare for the interview. I was also lucky to have a very nice resident who was on the adcom at a very good medical school. He gave me 2 hours of his time and hosted a mock interview. He told me where I could improve my answers. A lot of interviewing is giving the interviewer what they want to hear. You can also ask your undergrad for a mock interview. Try recording yourself if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment