Saturday, January 31, 2009

Personal Statement

The personal statement was the most painful part of the application process. For this, I wrote two personal statements and had people critique it. One was a ‘cutesy’ PS, while the other went straight to the point. I decided to use the PS that was devoid of crap. Basically, I praised my medical school, told them why I wanted to transfer, described my interests and why they would help me for my future career, briefly discussed my break between UG and medical school (careers), and ended by thanking them for looking at my application. You need to sell yourself…no one is going to sell your product for you. Don’t be arrogant. You need to show that you are an excellent candidate.
Things to avoid:
Don’t say anything bad about the Caribbean, anything
Spelling/Grammar errors
Ridiculous stories
Things that can be found on your application
Inflammatory statements

No comments:

Post a Comment